(Forum post so no khajiitification.)
My attempt at going au naturel in cleaning is going pretty smoothly:
• Instead of hand lotion (cold weather leaves my sensitive fingers cracked and bloody if I don’t lotion up four times a day), a mix of olive oil and coconut oil. Works well!
• Thrice I’ve bathed in epsom salts and the same mix of olive and coconut oils. Oh boy does my whole body feel smooth for hours.
• Instead of body wash, I’ve just been rubbing natural baking soda into my armpits and other… problem areas. I smell just fine. Maybe later I’ll make a homemade body soap once I get the ingredients.
• Instead of shampoo and conditioner, natural baking soda and apple cider vinegar (mixed with water: 1 tbsp per 1 cup) — the baking soda only 2-3x/wk else you’ll dry out your scalp and hair too much. Occasionally I’ve rubbed in a mix of olive and coconut oil, which has made my already natural blond hair a soft, shiny gold. Also tried raw&unfiltered honey a few times because that supposedly has good properties for skin and hair which I haven’t noticed yet.
• Twice I’ve shaved using only olive oil — don’t use coconut, it goes liquid on contact with skin, making olive oil the better choice as it stays thick and goopy on your cheeks. Closest and least painful shave I’ve ever had, and I hear it’s even better for a lady’s legs. Combined with rubbing raw&unfiltered honey all over my face as both aftershave balm and a 20-30min beauty mask leaves my face super smooth. Something I need bad due to being a blond-with-blue-eyes whose flesh reacts to sunlight much like a vampire’s!
• I brush my teeth with a mix of natural baking soda and sea/pink salt, and coconut oil swish for 5-10 minutes while showering. (Put 1/2 tbsp coconut oil and swish it around your teeth until it goes liquid.) I hope THIS will finally do what I’ve tried for years in wasting money on extra-expensive “whitening” toothpastes and mouthwashes and occasionally those dollars-down-the-drain whitening strips. (Yes, for $120 your teeth WILL get all pearly… for a month.)
• Today I got a bottle of Everclear and tried spraying that into my armpits — alcohol kills odor-causing bacteria while letting you sweat as you should for health reasons. And it worked: I let my pits get all man-stanky from working out, and spray-spray-wait-5min and I was just dandy. Even the eau de booze went away after a few. I still smell fine hours later. But as others warn, this is not for you if you shave your pits. Just stick to the natural baking soda.
• As me and a good night’s sleep go together about as well as oil and water, I’m in need of something to stop me looking like a raccoon. And that something might be this. I’ll report on this if I ever get around to it.