By following these directions* (ma’habocath uses one of those little $1 tubs of plain & fat-free for the starter yogurt, it’s the perfect size for with a $2 gallon of skim milk!) this one has a gallon of homemade Greek yogurt which lasts him about a week eating 2-6 bowls of the following daily:
Each bowl is 3/4 cup homemade Greek yogurt, with an eyedropper of flavored liquid stevia (sometimes powder stevia and raw cacao), 1 tbsp chia, 2 tsp (2/3 tbsp) peanut butter, and 1/2 cup quick oatmeal.
More photos of the process:
- Each bowl starts with 3/4 cup Greek yogurt.
- Add one eyedropper of flavored liquid stevia, different one each time. Sometimes I add powdered stevia and raw cacao, or cinnamon stevia and cinnamon powder.
- Add 1 tbsp chia and 2 tsp (2/3 tbsp) peanut butter, mix.
- Microwave for 2 minutes so it becomes about as liquid as milk and to give the chia a chance to do its absorbing thing.
- Add 1/2 cup quick oats, mix, wait a minute or two.
* In short:
- pre-heat crock pot on low, leave starter-yogurt on counter to warm up for step 6
- pour milk in saucepan/pot, high temp for ~10 min until 185 or just getting frothy/bubbly
- while waiting for milk to get hot, fill kitchen sink about half-way with cold water
- put saucepan/pot of milk in water, just deep enough so the water doesn’t get in
- wait ~10 min, stirring occasionally, until it’s about 110F
- measure yogurt starter into a bowl and pour about a cup of the warm milk over it and stir together, about 2 tbsp per 4 cups milk (so ~1/2 cup for a gallon of milk)
- pour milk and yogurt from bowl into the crockpot and stir it all together
- put lid and towel over crock pot, turn it off and unplug it, let sit about 8 hours
- put in fridge, wait to cool (without stirring/jostling/etc)